Thursday, February 6, 2014

New things...

I've been thinking about the things I really want to do in my life lately. Simple things like yoga each day, belly dancing, learning to play the guitar, and so much more. There once was a time when I would immerse myself in something that interested me, when my passion for the thing would rise up and fill my life with all the wonders of the learning and experiencing of it all. And, after a little while of this intensity, it became a normal part of my life.

In 1985 I started counted cross-stitch and created some very cute pictures. At first they were simple designs that included hearts and bunnies, but soon grew to more intricate designs of an attic scene or wildlife. I even cross-stitched a landing eagle onto a shirt when I was about twenty for my husband (now ex). No project was too big for me.

About ten years later I began learning about beadwork. I learned the square stitch, brick stitch, and peyote. I learned how to make my fringes drape and to design my own patterns. I learned how to stitch beads onto fabric and leather. I learned tips on keeping my ends woven in, tricks on smoothing the threads, and some of the best ways to fix mistakes even when they were in the middle of the project. I made tiny amulet bags, earrings, and ornaments. There were gifts to loved ones as well as items that I sold (before there was Etsy). After Brianna was born, I'd put her in the carrier I had and would work on bead projects while she slept with her head near my heart. 

I don't know exactly when I set the beads to the side, but I picked up knitting again in 2007 (I'd been knitting on and off in my teens). I couldn't tell you what projects I did that first year, but I doubt they were significant. That all changed in February 2008 when I joined Ravelry. I "met" so many people who shared my interests! I was inspired to push myself in the projects I'd attempt. I became interested in new things like spinning my own yarn and felting and so much more. I learned the art of dyeing fiber and yarn (though, I will admit that it was more like "um, I'll try this and see if it works" at the beginning than any real artistry. And through it all there have been so many folks who have touched my life.

And now, I'm nowhere near ready to set knitting or other fiber crafts aside, but I am ready to start doing more with my days. I have several things that I'm ready to start with and I am not certain how I'll fit them in, but I know that I'm ready to give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment